A problem that families often encounter is the cause of the air conditioner leaking water despite using good and energy-saving air conditioners. This problem causes quite a lot of trouble for people in daily life.
I. Why is the air conditioner leaking water?
There are many reasons why the air conditioner is leaking water. To come up with a solution to thoroughly overcome the water leak on the indoor unit, you first need to determine the exact cause.
Here are the most common causes:
1. Due to installation error
- For air conditioners that have just been purchased or installed but have a water leakage, the cause is due to incorrect installation techniques.
- Causing the drainpipe to be sloped and clogged after the water trough…
2. The filter mesh is dirty
- After a period of use (from 3 to 6 months), dirt will stick a lot on the indoor unit’s filter.
- At that time, the cold air will not be able to blow out, condensing into water droplets and flowing to the floor.
3. Drain hose is clogged
- The drainpipe is blocked, so the water cannot escape but flows back into the indoor unit.
- The drainpipe is blocked usually due to a long time not cleaning and maintaining the air conditioner, causing the drainpipe to have a lot of dirt.
- Another case of blocked drains is that insects get stuck into the pipes.
4. The indoor unit fan is broken
- The damaged indoor unit fan does not rotate or rotates slowly, causing the indoor unit to freeze.
- The water cannot run down the gutter down the pipe but is stopped by the snow, dripping directly into the room.
5. Air conditioner is short of gas
- When the air conditioner leaks gas, lack of gas will cause freezing inside the indoor unit, preventing water from escaping.
- There are many reasons why air conditioners leak gas, such as leaky copper pipes, open canopy, leaking indoor units, leaking outdoor units…
II. Serious effects
Considered one of the most common failures on air conditioners. Therefore, handling water-cooled air conditioners is also quite simple and quick. Air conditioner leaking indoor unit can cause extremely serious effects. Then the cost of fixing the problem can be very expensive. Here are a few cases that our customers encountered when the air conditioner was leaking water
1. The wall of the house is seriously moldy.
- The air conditioner has water in the trough; if not handled in time, it will make the house walls wet.
- When this problem lasts for a long time, it will cause the wall paint layers to peel off, and the house walls will be covered with moss.
2. Cracked wooden floor
- High-end apartments often use wooden floors. When the air conditioner is leaking water, it is necessary to stop using it and promptly make a plan to clean and maintain the air conditioner to overcome the water leak the air conditioner completely.
- Water flowing down the floor for a long time causes the wooden floor to be soaked with water, peeling and damaging the area right below the air conditioner.
- The cost to fix a leaking air conditioner is 75$ – 600$, but if not timely, you will have to spend one more to redo the wooden floor below.
3. Damage to electronic equipment, documents.
- In many cases, customers have to pay more for repair costs because refrigerators, televisions, and computers are placed right below a leaking air conditioner.
- According to experts in the refrigeration industry and experienced construction engineers, when arranging electronic devices in the house, it is not advisable to place the air conditioner above electronic devices such as cabinets. refrigerators, televisions, computers, desks…
- When the air conditioner leaks water, many other equipments will be damaged.
III. How to handle water-flowing air conditioner simply at home
Simply that the air conditioner is leaking water because your air conditioner has not been regularly maintained and cleaned. It would help if you cleaned your air conditioner by following these steps:
Step 1: The first is to turn off all the power sources to ensure the safety of the person cleaning the air conditioner during work. Check the hot and cold parts to make sure nothing is stuck here.
Step 2: Use your hands to press on the latches to remove the cooling unit and soak them in water. The first thing you need to do to clean the air conditioner is to clean the filter.
Step 3: The protection system is above the fan and air conditioner block. Although it is not very tight, it is still cleaned to avoid reducing the machine’s capacity.
Step 4: Finally, install the parts of the chiller. We have finished the air conditioner cleaning process here. Close the automat to make once again sure the machine is running smoothly.
Suppose you are inexperienced or have never tried to fix the problem of the air conditioner leaking water in the cold unit. Contact the service at Colorado-Electricican for the best technical guidance and support.
IV. The solution to fix the air conditioner leaking water
The most common cause of water leakage in the air conditioner is due to not cleaning and maintaining the air conditioner for a long timeTherefore, to fix the air conditioner leaking water, we need to perform the following actions:
- Cleaning and rinsing the outdoor unit and indoor unit + air conditioner filter.
- Use a pressure hose to clear the drainpipe.
- Check outdoor unit fan, gas lock canopy.
- Use a meter to check the amount of gas inside the air conditioner; if there is a shortage, add more gas.
Those are the basic steps to fix a leaking air conditioner. But sometimes, in some special cases, we need to clearly determine the cause of the air conditioner leaking water to come up with a more reasonable solution.
- Installing the wrong air conditioner: Check and reinstall the air conditioner.
- Damaged indoor unit fan: Restore or replace the indoor unit fan.
- The air conditioner has a gas leak: Check the leak, fix the leak, then refill the gas.
- The air conditioner is tilted water trough: Remove the indoor unit, clean the indoor unit and then install it.